Sunday, October 14, 2007

the sleeping beauty sheet


One of the earliest pop culture influences on my life was the Disney film "Sleeping Beauty." I first saw it when I was five years old and somehow convinced all of the other kids in my South Carolina neighborhood that it would be real nifty if we put on our own "Sleeping Beauty" play for our parents. I was going to be "Sleeping Beauty," of course -- after all, the whole thing had been my idea -- and I needed a costume. So early one morning while my parents were still slumbering, I got into the linen closet and pulled out a sheet to create my costume. My mother caught me right after I had cut the sheet up and had started coloring it with crayons. She wasn't impressed .... or amused.
We did produce the play and it was a big hit with our parents. I've got pictures somewhere and I'll post them when I come across them.

No comments: