Tuesday, October 30, 2007

not witchy women



This photograph is on a postcard that is stuck in a corner of my bedroom mirror all year long -- I love it that much. Like many, I've always assumed the elderly women were four models posing as witches. Seeing as Halloween is almost upon us, I wanted to learn a little more about the photograph and so I did some research. I couldn't have been more wrong. The photo is titled "Jacobean Tea." It was taken at The Hospital of Holy and Undivided Trinity at Castle Rising in Norfolk, England in 1929. The women reside there and are wearing Jacobean dress as they take their afternoon tea. I don't love the photo any less -- in fact, I love the fact that this is how they truly lived. And there is something so revealing in their expressions and posture - the sweetness of one, the wry sense of humor of another. It will remain stuck in a corner of my mirror for many years to come.

No comments: