Wednesday, November 7, 2007

chapel of love


I think today's bride would recoil in horror at the mere sight of this wedding ensemble from 1971. In truth, there were probably a lot of brides in 1971 who didn't like it much, either.

While I don't much care for the dress or scarf, I do relate to the mindset of the designer: simple, uncomplicated and modest -- an offset of the "hippie" trend at the time. This wedding would have taken place on a farm or a beach, food and decorations would have been made by friends and family.

My wedding wasn't quite this down-home but it resembled this far more than the wedding my daughter will be having. Don't misunderstand me: I'm thrilled with Erin's choices and I'm happy that she's doing it her way. But as they used to say, different strokes for different folks.

No comments: