Monday, November 5, 2007

ooh child


This is the kind of magazine ad that would have had me scraping all of my hard-earned babysitting funds together and running to the drug store as fast as possible. I don't specifically recall them but I can just about guarantee you that I had some of these eyeshadows -- this was precisely the type of advertisement that got to me every single time.

What was it about Yardley ads in the 60's that made their products so appealing? Was it the whimsical, sweet, and innocent image they offered? Is it because they weren't suggesting that we become vampy red-fingernailed femme fatales -- just a prettier -- and non-threatening -- version of who we already were?

4 comments:

KarenHarveyCox said...

Oh, I love your blog. I lived for my seventeen magazine to arrive back in the day. I graduated high school in 1967...I love all your nostalgia here. I live halfway in between loving today and remembering sweet yesterday. So glad to have found you.

sugarpie honeybunch said...

Thanks so much, Karen! I'm a BIG Christmas nut as well so I'll be enjoying your blog as well!

Anonymous said...

I graduated in 1969 and was OBSESSED by Yardley's London Look. I had very few of the items but they were precious. Thank you so very much for posting all those wonderful Flicr ads...they brought me hours of viewing pleasure and a great memory hit!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found you, your blog and your wonderful images!! As all of you, I was absolutely NUTS about The London Look cosmetics, the Beatles and all that dreamy British stuff. I am excessively nostalgic of those years, I must admit that I have never really adjusted to the modern times (save for my computer and Internet). I still have a lavender eyeshadow from the London Look collection, and Oh! de London was my most beloved youth perfume (the first one was Evening in Paris by Bourjois, in the cobalt bottle...).I can still remember the smell of it all...