Thursday, July 8, 2010

gimme shelter

In addition to all of my other unabashed eccentricities which I refuse to apologize for, I'm a huge fan of reality television. Yes, I know I should be above it. As someone with a degree in Broadcasting, I know that I should be typing the words "reality television" with the same revulsion I experience while typing the words "end-stage syphilis."

But from "American Idol" to "Hell's Kitchen" to even some seasons of "The Bachelor," trust me when I tell you that I love me some reality tv and I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of it.

There is one reality show that I have to admit I enjoy with just a tinge of self-loathing (which I truly believe only further enhances my enjoyment of it) and that's "Big Brother" which premieres it's 12th season tonight on CBS. In case you've been living under a rock for the last ten years, "Big Brother" consists of 14 (usually very attractive young) people moving into a studio that resembles a home where they conduct their completely secluded lives on camera 24/7 all summer ...... while plotting how to get rid of each other.

As in all reality tv, it's unpredictable. Some seasons it's a big snore and I quickly lose interest while other seasons I practically live on my computer monitoring "Big Brother" message boards for the latest news. My passion for any particular season is dependent on at least one of two things: 1) There must be someone I adore and/or 2) there must be someone I despise. If I can get both in one season, I'm in "Big Brother" heaven.

Anyway, I said all that to say all this: even though the show starts tonight, I may never mention it again. Or I may blog about it hourly until no one can stand me .... if you don't believe me, ask my best friend, Sharon, about my former Taylor Hicks obsession. It wasn't pretty.

No comments: