Friday, May 21, 2010

leaving on a jet plane



Back when I first met her, my best friend Sharon said to me, "You know, you're the only person I've ever known who really reads the TV Guide from front to back." It was an interesting observation and probably the first time I recognized that TV looms bigger in my life than most folks. Heck, I even have a 4-year college degree in it.

Maybe it was because we moved every two or three years and because I had no siblings, I was forced to spend an awful lot of time alone while I was growing up, but TV became very, very important to me. Still is -- if I'm home, it's on -- even though it's usually just noise in the background of my life.

Six years ago, I picked up the Fall Preview issue of the TV Guide (yes, I still read them front to back) and read about a new upcoming show called "Lost." The description absolutely intrigued me but I reminded myself not to get too excited. After all, there have been many shows in the past that didn't live up to the hype and several that did but didn't survive, anyway (Nowhere Man, for example). I warned myself not to fall in love too quickly.

Of course, I fell hard and I fell fast .... as did many others, thank goodness. No matter how brilliant (or not) the the last episode of "Lost" is on Sunday, I'll no doubt be watching with tears streaming down my cheeks. I've seen many TV shows come and go but this one is somehow different -- I will truly miss these characters. They're very real to me.

To everyone involved in creating "Lost" : Thanks for an incredible ride.

(And thanks to The Injustice League for the terrific farewell video!)

No comments: