Sunday, May 16, 2010

sittin' on the dock of the bay


Another Esplanade shot, originally uploaded by G.E. Long.

I was absolutely thrilled to come across this photo in G.E. Long's flickr photostream.

See that little gray house on the far left? The very first house in the row of houses? The one closest to the camera?

It's in Middletown, Rhode Island and I lived in that house while I was a junior at Middletown High School many, many moons ago. Obviously, it was right on the shore and at night I would fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks right beneath my bedroom window. Although I appreciated how special that was at the time, I realize now that I didn't appreciate it half as much as I should have.

The photo was taken from Easton's Beach in nearby Newport .... it's better known as First Beach to the locals .... on an evening with an incredible sunset. What a breathtaking photograph!

I grew up in an Air Force family and it's an understatement to say that we moved a lot -- but of all of the places we lived, Middletown -- and the New England area -- remains my favorite. If my husband didn't hate cold weather so much, I would try to convince him to retire in that area.

One more interesting thing about that house: I'm convinced it was haunted. I'll have to tell you about that sometime.

No comments: