Sunday, May 9, 2010

cherish

This is me at the age of three with my Mom and my Dad's mother -- it is absolutely one of my favorite pictures.

It was about this time that my grandmother learned that she had leukemia and had only a few years to live. I was her only grandchild at the time and I've been told that one of the things that upset her the most about her prognosis was that she would pass away before I was old enough to have strong memories of her. To that end, she set out to spend a lot of time with me -- and spoiled me in every imaginable way -- and although she died when I was only five years old, I almost feel as though I had her for my entire childhood -- she made me feel that loved and cherished. Mission accomplished, Grandma!

One of my biggest regrets is that my younger sister, Heather, never had the opportunity to know our grandmother and be on the receiving end of her love and generosity of spirit.

My own Mom passed away in 1990 and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of her and miss her. If I started talking about all of the incredible and amazing things about her, I would be here for hours so let me sum it up this simply:

I'm eternally grateful that she was mine and I was hers.

Happy Mother's Day, ladies. I love you and miss you both.

No comments: